SOCIAL NEKKIDITY









In the last year or so I’ve been pretty straightforward in my discussions about sexuality and some of the behavioral aspects of aging as well as what seems, to me at the very least, the constant exposure of my genitalia and discussions regarding them.

The majority of Lil Rambler’s appearances are medical in nature and behind closed doors, though I will usually share intimate details of my life with a close few friends. I’m an open book with only a couple of people, but being a blunt sort of guy I don’t bother hiding much from anyone else if asked directly.

Which brings me to an odd and re-emerging aspect of my personality: immodesty.

In college I had a reasonably well-earned reputation for being naked. Not as a nudist, but someone who posed for art projects, played a fair amount of strip poker, and didn’t bother closing the door to my dorm room or asking anyone of either sex to hide their eyes if I happened to be changing. I had a pretty good physique and wasn’t bugged if somebody else saw something most guys cup nervously if they happen to be caught naked.

(The cupping thing is one of the social modesty-related behaviors I think is hysterically stupid and paranoid. We all know you’ve got a dick, and grabbing yourself in public isn’t going to spare your humiliation one iota. Not like nearly everyone hasn’t seen a better example of a penis, so don’t worry about it and just excuse yourself to go get some pants without doing the gropey tiptoe walk out of the room.)

Given everything going on with me medically, I’m going back to that sort of uninhibited mentality. Being naked with doctors and medical techs has been a lifelong experience and necessity, and at this point I’ve discovered going pantsless, even just around the house, is actually a very comfortable and relaxing thing for me. I don’t think that makes me a nudist or naturist, since there are no public aspects to my partial nudity. Being naked isn’t meant to be a statement, it’s just about comfort.

Years ago I did business with a graphic artist who was himself a nudist. Not only did he work with nude models (I never posed), but when he didn't have a nude model present, he himself undressed. (He refused to be undressed with his models, stating he didn't want that kind of work environment for any of them.) Part of his personality was such that he felt more open and honest with other people when he was able to be comfortably undressed around them. For him it was both comfort AND statement.

Today as I was relaxing outside in my yard, pants free, it hit me that I’d probably be comfortable with some of my best friends if pants-free were part of our deeper conversations, that if they dropped by and didn’t object I probably wouldn’t bother covering up. I know, that sounds weird but, well, you don’t know some of my friends.

Already I enjoy the fact that my physical therapist and I can have a comfortable conversation, even after I’ve undressed for my session. We long ago outgrew the need for draping, and can have a social or treatment-related conversation without me being clothed, and it’s a remarkably refreshing way to interact.

(At least for me. He seems to be relaxed about it too, and would certainly have mentioned it if he were uncomfortable.)

But other than my wife, my therapist, my best friend, and my urologist’s team - all of whom have had differing reasons for having met Lil Rambler - I have yet to test those boundaries. If it ever happens it’s going to be organic and nothing planned. This isn’t nudism, it’s comfort. In college my particular circle practiced conversational nudity without inhibition, and that’s what seems to be re-emerging for me in my later years.

But social mores in this modern era will probably prevail. It’s unlikely anyone will show up unexpectedly while I’m semi-attired, and none of my friends are likely to tell me to lose the pants and relax when I go over to visit.

(And even my wife seems non-plussed with my newfound around-the-house and vacation-room liberty, though in her defense she hasn’t said a word.)

All of which is too bad. As my artist friend noted, being socially naked promotes honesty, intimacy and openness, several things our society seems to value in lessening degrees these days.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LITTLE RAMBLER AND THE TINY PAPER SPEEDO

WALK ALL OVER ME

RUB-A-DUB-DUB